We believe a birthday is one specific day per year when an individual should be recognized and acknowledged for his or her importance as a person and as a member of our community regardless of economic status.
To promote this recognition and self-worth, The Thoughts & Gifts Project:
- Provides a birthday gift(s) up to $30 per qualifying youth or senior citizen
- Provides a birthday card for a personal message from the parent/guardian and/or donor
- Promotes literacy by including an age-appropriate book for each recipient
- Hosts a monthly birthday party for all clients served during that month
To be eligible, the recipient
- must live in Polk County
- be 0-18 or 65+
- qualify for federal assistance, such as but not limited to SNAP, Medicaid, or free/reduced lunch (proof of need is not required).
For Youth: The primary parent or guardian must complete an application AND provide documentation to verify the child’s age. Acceptable documentation, such as an insurance card, birth certificate, or passport, must include the child’s full name and date of birth.
For Seniors: An application must be completed by the senior having a birthday or by referral, such as by a caretaker, neighbor, or relative (must be at least 18 years of age to complete the application).
Gift(s), Cards, and Books: May be picked up a minimum of one workday after the application is completed. Items will be delivered for seniors who are homebound or in a care facility.
Our hours of operation are:
Mondays from 1 PM to 5 PM
Dallas Resource Center
182 SW Academy Street, Dallas
Tuesdays through Thursdays from 12 PM to 6 PM
Historic Independence Women’s Club
340 S 3rd Street in Independence
For more information or to apply, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 971-600-5026.